Help Families Fulfill School Supply Lists
Patch reader was inspired to pitch in – and hopes the community will be, too.
Some of you may remember starting school with little more than a couple of pencils and pens, a ruler and a box of crayons.
But if you saw the school supply lists Patch posted this week for students in Darien School District 61 and Cass School District 63, you probably noticed that the number – and cost – of items kids need the first day of school has grown considerably over the years.
Patch reader Vanessa Evans of Darien noticed, too. And she emailed us to ask what she could do to help.
Evans said she was surprised by the amount of items students need to start school – and worried that in a tough economy, some families will be unable to purchase everything on their child’s list.
“I always loved getting my supplies ready for going back to school and want to help kids who might not be able to get everything they need,” Evans wrote.
“I moved to Darien three years ago and it is a great community,” Evans said. “When I saw all the supplies needed, I thought that would be a great place to help. I am single with no kids but would be willing to help out. Others might be as well, if they were aware of it.
“I hope the schools get lots of donations,” she said.
We do, too.
Inspired by Vanessa’s email, we contacted officials in Districts 63 and 61 – and found that both districts would welcome help from the community for families who may not be able to afford needed school supplies.
If Vanessa’s spirit of generosity has inspired you, too, here’s how to help kids get off to a good start at a school (or school district) of your choice:
In Cass School District 63, social workers and counselors at each school work with families in need to help them secure needed resources. To make a donation, contact one of the following staff members:
- Cass Junior High School, Jane Jansen, counselor, at JJansen@cassd63.org or 630/985-9200, ext. 7440
- Concord Elementary School, Helen Park, counselor, at HPark@cassd63.org or 630/985-9200, ext. 7015
- Concord or Cass, Amy Malone, social worker, at AMalone@cassd63.org or 630/985-9200, ext. 7127
In Darien School District 61, donations may be made in the following ways:
- Online to the District #61 Educational Foundation, Maureen Kelly Memorial Fund. Click here to donate.
- To the Maureen Kelly Memorial fund by accessing a donor form here.
- By writing a check to the District #61 Educational Foundation, specifying the donation is for the Maureen Kelly Memorial Fund (specifically to be used for school supplies) and mailing it to the District Office at 7414 Cass Avenue, Darien, IL 60561.
- By writing a check to Darien District #61 (with a note attached that the donation is specifically to be used for school supplies) and mailing it to the District Office at 7414 Cass Avenue, Darien, IL 60561.
In case you missed them in Patch this week, click on any school name to access its school supply lists: