UPDATE: Clarendon Hills Man, 42, Dies After Being Hit By Train in Hinsdale
Hinsdale Police Chief Brad Bloom said it appears the man intended to be struck; the train was carrying passengers and was passing through the West Hinsdale train station when it hit the man.
Updated at 8:31 p.m.
The 42-year-old man who died after he was struck by a Metra train passing through the West Hinsdale train station Monday afternoon was from Clarendon Hills, according to Hinsdale Police Chief Brad Bloom.
Bloom said Monday night that, though the department is waiting on a coroner's report, it appears based on witness accounts and surveillance video of the incident that the man intentionally stepped in front of the train.
"We can say fairly conclusively that it does not appear to be an accident," Bloom said.
Bloom said the train that hit the man at approximately 3 p.m. was traveling through the West Hinsdale station when it hit the man. The chief estimated the train, which was carrying commuters, would have been traveling around 30 mph through the station.
The identity of the deceased has yet to be released by police.
BNSF trains traveling between Chicago and Aurora are operating 15 to 78 minutes behind schedule Monday night after a man was fatally struck by an inbound Metra train near the West Hinsdale train station Monday afternoon, according to a 6:12 p.m. post on Metra's website.
Here are specific trains that are delayed:
- 1253 arrives Aurora 6:08 p.m.
- 1259 arrives Aurora at 5:57 p.m.
- 1261 arrives Rt 59 at 6:09 p.m.
- 1265 arrive Fairview 5:53 p.m.
- 1267 arrives Rt 59 at 6:03 p.m.
- 1269 arrives Aurora at 6:20 p.m.
- 1275 arrives Fairview at 6:24 p.m.
- 1276 arrives Chicago at 5:27 p.m.
- 1277 arrives Rt. 59 6:25 p.m.
- 1281 arrives Aurora at 7:21 p.m.
- 1288 arrives Chicago 6:42 p.m.
The Hinsdale Police Department has released a brief statement on the death of a pedestrian who was struck by an inbound Metra train near the West Hinsdale train station at Stough Street Monday afternoon.
On this date at approximately 3 p.m., a pedestrian was fatally struck at the West Hinsdale train station by an inbound commuter train. The pedestrian, a 42-year-old male, was struck in the tracks as the train approached the [station]. No other vehicles or persons are believed to have been involved in this incident.
Officials are continuing to determine the cause of the incident pending the investigation of the DuPage County Coroner’s Office. This is a death investigation and remains open at this time.
Check back with Patch for updates.
Deputy Chief Mark Wodka of the Hinsdale Police Department confirmed in an email that the man who died after being struck by an inbound Metra train in Hinsdale Monday afternoon was 42 years old. Wodka also said the man was pronounced dead on the scene.
Wodka said earlier that a press release from the department is forthcoming. Check back with Patch for updates.
A male pedestrian was struck and killed by an eastbound Metra commuter train while crossing the tracks on foot at the West Hinsdale train station Monday afternoon, according to Hinsdale Police Department deputy chief Mark Wodka.
The incident took place at approximately 3 p.m. The Hinsdale Police Department and DuPage County Coroner's Office are investigating.
"We’re not releasing the identity, pending the notification of family," Wodka said.
Wodka said he could not comment yet on the age of the deceased or what led to the pedestrian being struck.
The death is the second this month of a pedestrian being killed by a BNSF Metra train. On March 7, 31-year-old Eric Bennett of Hickory Hills was struck and killed in Westmont. That incident is still under investigation.
Monday's incident is causing BNSF delays, according to Metra's website.
"Train #1268, scheduled to arrive Chicago at 3:47 p.m., is stopped near Hinsdale due to a pedestrian incident," the site read at 3:27 p.m. "This train will be delayed approximately 60-75 minutes. Metra will provide updated information as it becomes available."
Since that message, Metra has announced that BNSF trains traveling between Chicago and Aurora will be stopped upon the approach to Hinsdale, and the following trains are to be delayed 60 to 80 minutes:
- #1237 to arrive Aurora at 3:58pm;
- #1239 to arrive Aurora at 4:16pm;
- #1241 to arrive Aurora at 4:41pm; and
- #1270 to arrive Chicago at 4:44pm
Here is what readers are saying about the incident on our Facebook page:
- Real Housewives of Hinsdale: Sad news to report on such a cold dreary Monday. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
- Donna: Horrible no matter what the circumstances, thank you for the updates
- Traci: OMG... what is going on? This man and his family are in my prayers also...
- Teri: What worries me is this is happening way too often....If it's suicide then people need to be vigilant about people around them and their behaviour. If it's accidental then, wow, time to educate people about what trains are and that you can't guess about how far away they are and walk out in front of them. Lastly, if it's neither what if some nutcase is out there pushing people? Just because it's Hinsdale and not NYC doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills news: