When Can I File My 2012 Tax Return in Darien?
The IRS has announced a delayed start to the 2012 tax filing season. Here's the date of when you can file, plus some locations in or near Darien where you can get help on your taxes.
You'll have to wait if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season — pushing it back eight days to January 30, 2013.
The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 30, 2013. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date, though some revised forms may not be immediately available.
You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.
Electronic filing season was originally set to start on Jan. 22 this year.
As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.
The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.
There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.
The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on www.IRS.gov.
To get you started, here’s a list of some tax preparation help and tax preparers in the Darien area:
- Indian Prairie Public Library, 401 Plainfield Road, Darien; Free tax assistance will be offered by AARP volunteers from February through mid-April, on Monday and Friday mornings. Appointments are necessaryand may be made by calling the library’s Ask Us Desk at 630-887-8760, ext. 239.
- Pleshar & Associates, 8301 S. Cass Ave., Darien; 630-964-9858
- Knutte & Associates, 7900 S. Cass Ave., Darien; 630-960-3317
- Staden & Company, CPA – 805 Plainfield Road, Darien; 630-654-1040
- H&R Block, 26 63rd St, Willowbrook; 630-920-0849
- H&R Block, 1202 Q 75th St, Downers Grove; 630-963-3136
- Woodridge Liberty Tax Service, 8280 Janes Ave., Woodridge; 630-427-1040
- H & R Block, 8263 Janes Ave., Woodridge; 630-910-4432
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, 7528 Janes Ave., Woodridge; 630-910-3659
- The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. Nearest location: Loaves and Fishes Community Pantry, 1871 High Grove Lane, Naperville; 630-355-3663