"Learn something new everyday” and “You’re never to old to learn” are familiar adages.
And although formal education may seem in the distant past, adult classes just for fun or those that teach practical skills are being offered in Darien.
With class choices that encompass many interests, kids won’t be the only ones who get to enjoy that excited back-to-school feeling.
1) Photography classes at Darien Park District can help you make the most of your brand new camera and its features that you haven’t figured out how to use. Choose from Digital Photography I or II or enhance the creative quality of your photos by taking Photo II. On-line resident registration begins at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 24.
2) The Know Better Do Better series offered through the Darien Park District discusses how to implement key lifestyle changes to improve yours and your family’s health and well-being. There are many stressors that can threaten physical and mental health. Nutritional strategies and stress relieving techniques may be in order before the holidays descend.
3) Wilton Industries offers comprehensive courses in cake, cupcake, candy-creations and even how to get started in the baking business. The popularity of such shows as “Cake Boss” and TLC’s “DC Cupcakes” has encouraged amateurs to try to their own hand at baking artistry. Discover the worlds of fondant, isomalt, gum paste and artistic gelatin.
4) The Indian Prairie Public Library can give you an Intro to Facebook and Twitter from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesdsay, Aug. 24. What’s the last message you Tweeted? What’s a Twitter hashtag? How do you Facebook chat someone? How do you find a video on YouTube and what in the heck is a Flickr? Take the mystery out of the foreign language of social networking and learn how to participate somewhat or wholly. Even if you don’t jump on the bandwagon, you can at least feel current when the topics are being discussed. Participants must register in advance.
5) is the perfect spot for a Forest Fitness Walk guided by a Forest Preserve District of DuPage County naturalist who increases your nature and wildlife knowledge about this beautiful 94 acre property.