Are coyotes a problem in Darien? Our Facebook friends say yes.
The Chicago area has seen a significant increase in the coyote population since the 1990s, and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources estimates there are more than 30,000 coyotes in Illinois.
We asked Darien residents via Facebook where they've spotted coyotes in town. Here's what they had to say:
- Ed Musial Last Monday night in my yard.
- Anthony Giacalone Yes coyotes are a huge problem in darien, one killed my dog last may. And from talking to people in the community I know this isn't an isolated incident.
- Lynnie Ley i haven't seen a coyote, but my neighbors have...we had a fox on claremont drive last summer b4 last.
- Lia Rainaldi Rynkar I had 2 of them in my backyard about 2 weeks ago!
- Dave Sim I had 2 neighbors stop over to tell me to watch my puppies. One said there was a coyote walking right down the sidewalk towards him while he walked his dog.The coyote waited until they were within just a few yards before diverting its path. The other said they were spotted just hanging out in the back yard. I hear them howling in the Clarendon Cemetery at night every time there is a police or fire siren. Sounds like there are quite a few back there. Dozens even.
- Cathy Fischer Yep, they're around and we can hear them howling in the night during summer when the windows are open.
- Nicole Swiercz One killed my dog as well and saw it a week or so ago. I think something should be done to maintain them.
According to the Cook County Coyote Project, there hasn't been a documented case of a coyote attacking a human in Illinois since at least 1985—the beginning range of the study. On top of that, there have only been two cases of coyotes killing a human in the U.S. and Canada in modern history.
Coyotes typically come out at night. If you see a coyote during the day, that's an indication the animal may be bolder and therefore more likely to attack. If you ever find yourself in this situation, the study recommends you yell, wave your arms and try to throw something at the coyote. Never run away!
While coyotes have been known to attack pets, the Cook County Coyote Project says coyotes do not frequently attack dogs, and when they do, they tend to be smaller dogs. Cats, on the other hand, may represent more alluring targets. Don't lose too much sleep over it, though. The vast majority of a coyote's diet is made up of mice and rats.
- Dogs Survive Coyote Attack in Wheaton
- Coyote Kills Dog in Winfield
- Small Dog Fatally Attacked
Patch Asks: Do you think coyotes are a problem in Darien? What precautions do you take to protect your children and pets? When was the last time you spotted one in town?