ABC News reports lottery officials expect to sell more than 105,000 tickets every minute before the drawing. Despite the long odds for the big jackpot, the overall odds of winning a prize are considerably better at 1 in 55.
Since the last drawing on Nov. 24, the Powerball jackpot has grown by over $100 million to a record $550 million. The estimated cash payout is $360.2 million. The last set of winning numbers was drawn on Oct. 16.
And here are the winning numbers: 05-23-16-22-29-6 (Powerball).
What would you do with $550 million? Let us know in the comments.
Could the lucky winner be from Darien or Woodridge? People in the area have won big before:
- In May 2011, the Darien Pantry at 737 Plainfield Road sold a lottery ticket over the weekend that matched the winning numbersfor the Little Lotto.
- That was nothing compared to the $5.75 million ticket sold at the Minuteman Citgo on Plainfield Road in Darien in January 2011.
Where to buy a lottery ticket in Darien and Woodridge:
- Darien Pantry, 737 Plainfield Rd. in Darien
- Minuteman Citgo, 402 Plainfield Rd. in Darien
- Darien Liquor, 8125 S. Cass Ave. in Darien
- Heritage Food & Liquor, 7515 S. Cass Ave. in Darien
- Harry's Sweat Shop, 7511 Lemont Rd. in Darien
- Stop 24 Liquors, 1999 75th St. in Woodridge
- 7 Eleven, 2828 75th St. in Woodridge
- Woodridge Tobacco Discount, 8217 Janes Ave. in Woodridge
- BP Station, 6820 Route 53 in Woodridge
- Grocer's Pantry, 7058 Woodward Ave. in Woodridge
Did we miss one? Tell us in the comments and we'll add it.