Once Halloween is over, doesn't it seem like November goes so fast? Soon it's Thanksgiving, and we are smack dab in the middle of the holiday rush. Organize yourself this season with these tips and preparations:
- Hosting one of the holiday meals this year? Plan your menu now! You'll have time to remember to order your free-range turkey. Make sure to include a vegetarian and gluten-free dish if having a big crowd, as it’s likely there will be someone with dietary concerns. Take a class at one of the many cooking schools to get some new ideas for your holiday meal.
- Presentation is key to a successful holiday gathering, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune, either. When planning your menu, determine how you will present and serve it as well. For example, you can make a butternut squash soup appetizer and serve it in its own shell. Want to have a tasting party? Pier One has a full line of smaller serving dishes that can accommodate you.
- Start your holiday shopping early this year. Merchants are offering deep discounts, promotions, and giveaways to attract consumers to their stores. Also, support your local small businesses. Saturday, Nov. 26 is Small Business Saturday.
- Plan a special holiday event for the family, such as High Tea or the Chocolate Buffet at the Peninsula, the Joffrey Ballet's performance of the Nutcracker or the Radio City Music Spectacular featuring the Rockettes. These popular events book up early.
- Spice up your home for the holidays with some quick home improvements in early November. Check out the for easy ways to spruce up your home. A fresh coat of paint can update a room with minimal investment.