Thursday, July 5
Someone damaged a mailbox, possibly with a full soda can, in the 6700 block of Dale.
Friday, July 6
During the overnight hours between July 6 and 7, vandals damaged mailboxes in a variety of locations:
- The front door was ripped off a mailbox in the 1800 block of McAdam. Damage is estimated at $100.
- A mailbox was dented and knocked off its post in the 6700 block of Alabama. Damage is estimated at $75.
- The side of a mailbox was smashed in the 1700 block of Holly.
- A door was ripped off a mailbox in the 1700 block of Holly. Damage is estimated at $100
- A large plastic mailbox sustained about $250 worth of damage in the 6800 block of Alabama
- A mailbox was dented and a soda can was found lying next to it in the 6600 block of Bentley. Damage is estimated at $250.
- A mailbox was dented and a soda can was found lying next to it in the 800 block of Chestnut. Damage is estimated at $200.
- A mailbox was dented and covered with a sticky film that police say is consistent with dried soda, in the 6700 block of Trenton. Damage is estimated at $100.
Sunday, July 8
DUI, other charges
Darien police arrested Carlos Soto Jr. of the 2400 block of Red Oak Trail, Crest Hill, at approximately 2:35 a.m. at Lemont Road at I-55. According to police reports, an officer was dispatched for the report a person sleeping in a car on the side of the roadway.
Officers observed the vehicle was stopped half on the road and half on the shoulder, with the brake and headlights on. Police said Soto had red, glassy eyes and a strong odor of an alcoholic based beverage coming from his mouth.
Soto failed field sobriety tests and was arrested and processed at the Darien Police Department. He was cited for DUI, no insurance, and parking on roadway, and has a court date of Aug. 6 in Wheaton.
Tuesday, July 10
Aggravated DUI, other charges
Darien police arrested Nancy Ramirez, 45, of the 8000 block of Rutherford, Woodridge, at 4:08 p.m. in the 9000 block of Lemont Road. According to police reports, Ramirez was stopped after police observed her driving erratically. Officers said Ramirez spoke with slow, slurred speech and had bloodshot, glassy eyes. She failed field sobriety tests and was arrested, processed, and released at the Darien Police Department after being charged with DUI, operating an uninsured motor vehicle and improper lane usage. A court date is pending.
About this column: Police Blotter information is provided by law enforcement agencies. Charges are not evidence of guilt. They are a record of police actions taken on a given day, and persons charged with a crime are presumed innocent until proven guilty in court. If you or a family member are charged or cited and the case is subsequently adjudicated, we encourage you to notify the editor. We will verify and report the outcome.