Thursday, April 18, 2013
The strike caused $25,000 of “heavy damage” to a home on the 1600 block of Fox Hill Place.
A lightning bolt unleashed in Thursday morning’s storm struck a Darien home shortly before 2:50 a.m., causing “heavy damage” to the roof and chimney and charring several walls, according to a Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District press release. The strike also tripped circuit breakers and caused a gas leak in the front yard of the house on the 1600 block of Fox Hill Place in Darien. Though smoke was reported, thermal imaging found no fire in the walls. No one was injured in the strike, or during any other Darien-Woodridge storm-related incidents on Thursday morning. (The Department responded to over a dozen storm-related incidents by mid-morning.) The initial damage estimates are $25,000 for the lightning strike. The Westmont, Tri-…
Saturday, June 30, 2012
A three-car pileup on I-55 near Lemont Road led to a car fire, causing one death early Saturday morning.
A motorist died early Saturday after a three-car accident on Interstate 55 at Lemont Road led to a vehicle fire, according to a fire official. The accident occurred at about 3:50 a.m. on southbound I-55, said Bob Morris, Fire Prevention Bureau Director for the Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District. Three cars were involved in the accident, which led to a fire that caused one of the fatalities, Morris said. Firefighters on scene had to extricate the person from the vehicle. Two others involved in the accident were seriously injured and taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove. Information regarding the types of vehicles involved in the accident and names of the motorists were not available Saturday morning. The DuPage County …
Friday, June 29, 2012
Temperatures climbed to 100-plus degrees Thursday, but residents found ways to keep cool.
Area residents found refuge from Thursday’s brutal heat at the Indian Prairie Public Library and Darien Park District’s Sportsplex.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
The car was destroyed, but the fire did only minor damage to the house, officials said.
Update 11:25 a.m. Thursday: The homeowner told fire officials the car was experiencing mechanical problems while driving Wednesday, according to a Darien-Woodridge Fire District release. Smoke began coming from the engine area after the car was parked. The fire did an estimated $13,000 in damage, mostly to the car. A late-afternoon car fire spread to a garage on the 1300 block of Von Drash Drive in Darien, causing minor damage to both the garage and the front of the home, fire officials said. Although the car is a total loss, Darien-Woodridge Fire District Battalion Chief Tom Mahn said the fire did only a small amount of harm to the home's structure. No one was injured. The family was in the backyard around 5:35 p.m. when they noticed the …
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Enjoying the water is fun when it's hot outside. Here are tips for safe swimming.
With temperatures expected to be in the 90s for the next few days, spending time in a pool is a great option to keep cool. Yet, drowning is the number one cause of injury deaths to children ages 1 to 4. In 2011, seven drowning deaths were reported in Illinois, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. In May, the Consumer Product Safety Commission kicked off its Pool Safely: Simple Steps Save Lives campaign. The campaign is targeted to at-risk groups, but also provides information that is valuable to the general public. If you plan to spend any time at the pool, whether public or neighborhood, here are some safety tips. Source: PoolSafely.gov The Darien Park District offers CPR classes regularly. The next heartsaver class…
Monday, May 14, 2012
The man heard a popping sound and saw flames start coming out of his ceiling fan, Darien-Woodridge Fire officials said.
A Darien man extinguished a fire in a bathroom ceiling fan Monday morning before firefighters arrived on the scene, Darien-Woodridge Fire officials said. The man heard a pop while he was getting ready for work shortly before 7:30 a.m. in his home on the 1600 block of Dunham Court, Fire Prevention Bureau Director Bob Morris said in a press release. The man saw flames and smoke streaming from the fan, which he sprayed with a fire extinguisher. After the first blast didn’t completely put out the fire, he pulled off the fan’s cover and sprayed the flames with what was left of his fire extinguisher. “His quick thinking prevented this small fire from turning into a major roof fire that would have displaced four families,” Morris said in the …
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
Work on pipes ignited insulation or wood inside the walls, causing significant damage to the home, fire officials said.
Fire caused extensive damage to a home on the 1500 block of 77th Street in Darien Wednesday afternoon, Darien-Woodridge fire officials said. The fire started around 3 p.m. when a spark from plumbing repairs taking place in the basement ignited either insulation or wood within the walls, Fire Inspector Bob Morris said. Flames quickly spread inside the walls up to the attic, he said. When firefighters opened the ceiling, smoke poured out, leading them to believe it was a large fire that would take hours to extinguish. Morris said the district called for assistance, but crews were able to squelch the blaze in about half an hour. No one was injured, Morris said. “We’re very fortunate this happened in the day,” he said. “If it had happened at …
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation will be holding a fundraiser at Cass Jr. High to raise money for life-saving research.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
The following was submitted by Cass Junior High: It takes a community to cure childhood cancer. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a volunteer-driven charity dedicated to raising money for childhood cancer research, will host one of its signature head-shaving events at Cass Junior High on March 23, 2012, where students, teachers, local police and firefighters will shave their heads in solidarity with kids with cancer and raise money for life-saving children’s cancer research. Why all the shaved heads? Worldwide, more than 160,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year, and it remains the leading cause of death by disease among children in the United States. With only 4 percent of all federal cancer research funding dedicated to pediatric…
Monday, February 27, 2012
Darien-Woodridge fire paramedics performed advanced life-support on the boy while taking him to the hospital, according to a release.
Updated: 5:39 p.m. Monday A teenage boy from unincorporated Downers Grove sustained serious injuries when he became trapped under a car while riding his bicycle near Beller and Lemont roads in Darien around 4:56 p.m. Sunday, Darien-Woodridge Fire District officials said. Fire personnel had to extract the boy by lifting the car off his lower body with two high-pressure air bags placed under the front passenger side, according to a Darien-Woodridge release. Paramedics performed advanced life-support on the unconscious teenager while taking him to the Level 1 Trauma Center at Advocate Good-Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, the release said. Darien police said the boy, who is 14 or 15 years old according to various reports, was later …
Friday, February 17, 2012
The candidate collapsed and stopped breathing during a physical ability test Feb. 9 in Indian Head Park.
- POLICE & FIRE
Friday, February 17, 2012
The following was submitted by Bob Morris of the Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District: On February 9, 2012, Lt. John Tabisz and Firefighter/Paramedic Jenifer Phillips, of the Darien Woodridge Fire District, along with three members of the Pleasantview Fire District, saved the life of a 46 year old man. This individual was participating in a firefighters’ candidate physical ability test held at the Chicago Roofers Apprentice Training Center, in Indian Head Park. This ability test is required by most fire departments prior to being hired as a firefighter. During one of the events this individual bent over and said he did not feel well. He then collapsed to the floor. This was witnessed by firefighters who were proctoring the event. The…